The Buckman Tavern, built in 1710, wasn’t just Lexington’s first public house. It was also the town’s first post office and served as the village store. It is best known as the headquarters for the town’s militia. On April 19, 1775, Captain John Parker led his minutemen from the tavern to the town green and waited for British troops, who were on their way to seize weapons in Concord. The American Revolution began that day with the “shot heard round the world.”
The Buckman Tavern still stands in Lexington. The building hasn’t changed that much in the last 240 years. Owned and operated by the Lexington Historical Society, the tavern is a museum that honors the Minutemen and is open to the public. For more information, visit the Lexington Historical Society.
Photo via Beneath Old Roof Trees